Good morning, friends! Microsoft has released a new Windows 10 pre-build number 21292 for Windows Insider program members using the Dev channel (formerly “Early Access”).
Full build number: Windows 10 Dev Channel 21292.1000 rs_prerelease 210108-1514
Important! Build 21292 from the RS_PRERELEASE channel is distributed to all insiders using the Dev channel. Starting from the last build, all insiders on the Dev channel receive the same system builds. There is no longer a division into assemblies from the FE_RELEASE and RS_PRERELEASE branches.
We would let you that the Dev channel which can contain quite unpleasant with errors if you are a beginner. If you need more establishment, we recommend switching to the Release Preview channels or Beta (Late access).
“News and InterestsÂ»
Microsoft thanks insiders for the feedback that was sent about the “News and Interests” feature that appeared in the build last week. In the new build, the company made several fixes:
- Fixed several issues affecting performance and stability.
- Fixed an issue where an empty pop-up window was displayed after opening “News and Interests”.
- Fixed an issue where the text on the taskbar button was not voiced by screen readers, and some tooltips were simply missing.
- Fixed an issue that caused “News and Interests” to display incorrectly when using small icons on the taskbar.
- Fixed an issue where the “News and Interests” button temporarily did not display content.
- Fixed an issue where the News and Interests pop-up window would not close when clicked outside the window or when the taskbar button was clicked again.
- Fixed an issue that caused the taskbar button content to appear blurry.
- Fixed an issue where News and Interests didn’t display up-to-date content after changing background app settings.
- Fixed an issue where the News and Interests window would not close if the mouse cursor moved outside the window area.
- Fixed an issue where it was not possible to switch to the “News and Interests” pop-up window using the keyboard.
- Fixed an issue where the “News and Interests” settings on the taskbar were reset to “Display icon and text” after upgrading to a new version of Windows.
- Thanks to the “News and Interests” widget on the taskbar, you not only get quick access to current news and weather but also get information about traffic jams on the road and warnings that are updated in real-time. If you click on the traffic card, you will see detailed information about traffic warnings, cameras, and travel times between nearby cities on the enlarged map.
Information about current weather conditions is displayed directly on the “News and Interests” button on the taskbar, so you just need to look at the notification area to immediately be aware of the weather outside the window. The weather forecast is updated throughout the day, so you will see an accurate visual representation of the current weather conditions and air temperature in your region. You can change your location by clicking on the three dots on the Weather card and selecting “Change Location”. To view a detailed forecast, just click on the “Weather” card. On the MSN website, you can find interactive and animated maps, as well as news about weather events.
- If you click on the “Weather” card, you will see a page with a detailed weather forecast, including information about temperature, wind, humidity, as well as hourly forecasts of air temperature and precipitation probability, so that you can plan your day. If you like to plan things a few days in advance, then the weather forecast for 10 days is available for you.
- The service’s forecasts are based on radar images, which are supplemented by social, spatial and temporal data processed using deep learning models. These forecasts reflect small topographical changes in your particular area, so you can get a weather forecast for your street on a minute-by-minute basis.
- If you want to learn more about the weather forecast, then scroll down to see a rich interactive map of forecast weather conditions in your region, based on Bing Maps and MSN Weather Predictions. You can change the view, zoom in and out of the map, and run animations of predicted temperature, precipitation, wind, etc. over time. For users in the United States, the map displays detailed data on extreme weather events, including winter storms, wildfires, and hurricanes.
- We remind you that the “News and Interests” feature is currently available only to some members of the Windows Insider Program on the Dev channel. Controlled distribution of such innovations allows Microsoft to immediately recognise problems that may influence stability and performance. In the future, the company plans to develop this feature.
- Important note! Currently, the aforementioned innovation is exclusively available to insiders in the India, Canada, US, UK and Australia. It also demands connected Microsoft Edge browser based on Chromium. The firm is examining different versions of this feature at once, so the pop-up window may vary for some insiders.
Changes and improvements
Based on the feedback, Microsoft has updated the “Settings” -> “System” -> “Sound” section, where a notification will now be displayed if the microphone access permission is disabled for the entire system or all applications. The message contains a link to the Microphone page in the Privacy section.
- Microsoft continues to work on improving the emulation of x64 applications on the ARM64 platform. This build fixes issues with several apps, including Zwift, Serif Affinity Photo and “Your Phone” crashes, as well as blank pages on Steam.
- Fixed an issue where insiders often saw the message ” Critical error. The Start menu doesn’t work.”
- Fixed an issue that was observed in the previous two builds, due to which explorer.exe / the Windows shell hung or crashed, especially after interacting with audio or video.
- Fixed an issue that caused NTFS to log a false write interrupt event.
- Fixed an issue where Microsoft Teams and some other applications were displayed as “Program” (instead of the name) on the Startup tab in Task Manager.
- Fixed an issue where it was not possible to sort processes by status in the “Task Manager”.
- Fixed an issue where after a clean install or system reset, notifications were not displayed after using the WIN + Shift + Stool.
- Fixed an issue that occurred in a previous build where the computer could become unresponsive if the Xbox Game Bar was launched from the Start menu or using the WIN + G keyboard shortcut.
- Fixed an issue where when using Windows with a zoom of more than 100%, after opening and closing the “Task View”, the open windows seemed unexpectedly large.
- Fixed an issue where typing ” – ” on the numeric keypad using Japanese IME did not take into account the full-width or half-width mode selected in the IME.
- Fixed an issue that prevented Excel from converting hanja words with Korean IME after installing the Korean language pack for Office.
- Engineers are working to fix an issue that could cause some games, such as State of Decay 2 or Assassin’s Creed, to crash or crash on launch.
- Engineers are examining a concern that may limit Call of Duty: Modern Warfare and Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War from beginning with this build. If you play these games, you can pause accepting updates until the problem is resolved.
- You may have some problems with rendering or graphics after resizing some application windows. If you minimize all the application windows and then open them again, the problem should be solved (double-click WIN + D).
- We are investigating an issue that might have caused some 32-bit systems to suffer their Internet connection after enhancing to this build. If you are utilising a 32-bit version of Windows, you can delay getting updates till the difficulty is resolved.
- This build, users of Miracast may encounter very low frame rates.
- We investigate records that the system update rule may hang for a prolonged time while trying to install a new build.
- Aero Shake is disabled in this build. To enable it, you need to open the “Registry Editor” and create a new DWORD entry with the name disallowshaking and the value 0 in the HKCUSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExplorerAdvanced section.
- The real-time preview for pinned site tabs is not yet ready to all insiders, so you can observe a grey window while you hang over the thumbnail in the taskbar. Engineers are working to advance this feature.
- Engineers are working to fix the difficulty so that the real-time preview for pinned tabs on the site works. If required, you can unpin a site from the taskbar of the edge://apps page, and then re-pin it.
- [News and Interests] Upgrading to this build will reset the News and Interests widget in the taskbar to Show Icon and Text, it will be solved soon.
- [News and Interests] Sometimes the pop-up window of news and interesting information cannot be closed with the pen.
- [News and Interests] The taskbar part exerts up larger space than required.
- [News and Interests] A button on the taskbar may display outdated information every time a user logs in.
- [News & Interests] The popup shows content in a single column and then quickly switches to a two-column layout.
- [News and Interests] The text on the taskbar button may appear pixelated on high-resolution screens.
- [News and Interests] The taskbar context menu and the News and Interests pop-up window overlap.
- [News and Interests] In some cases, the first time you start the News and Interests window, the CPU load increases to 100%.
- [News and Interests] The pop-up window closes when you try to share content.
- [ARM64] Insiders that have installed a pre-release version of the Qualcomm Adreno graphics operator on the Surface Pro X may encounter decreased display light. The problem will be solved in forthcoming updates.