Microsoft Edge based on chromium dev channel 86.0.601.1
The main innovations:
- Added support for kiosk mode for automatically restarting the browser in standby mode.
- Added support for the Storage Access API. Please note that the function was previously implemented under the close supervision of Microsoft engineers.
- The Chromium feature is enabled, which forces websites to specify the SameSite=None attribute for using third-party cookies. By default, cookies without this attribute were processed as if they were set to SameSite=Lax.
Fixes for improved stability:
- Fixed an issue on Mac where logging in to your browser account or syncing data sometimes didn’t work.
- Fixed a crash when sending a review.
- Fixed a crash when printing.
- Fixed an issue where opening “Parameters” in the guest window caused the browser to crash.
- Fixed an issue where the smooth scrolling flag was disabled.
- Fixed an issue where some web pages could not be translated because there was no request to translate them.
- Fixed an issue where tooltips sometimes appeared on the screen even if Edge Was not an active window.
- Fixed an issue where changing the profile image did not work for profiles without authorization in a Microsoft account.
- Fixed an issue on Mac where switching to full-screen mode sometimes caused the Shy UI to not work.
- Fixed an issue where data could not be imported from Firefox because it was not in the list of available browsers.
- Fixed an issue where scrolling sometimes didn’t work when viewing PDF files.
- Fixed an issue where inserting Information Protected content into PDF files sometimes worked incorrectly.
- Removed the User Agent Client Hints Enabled policy.
- The TLS 1.3 Hardening for Local Anchors Enabled policy is now deprecated.
- MacOS 11 Preview (Big Sur) users may experience problems with all versions of Edge that either crash or don’t start. Microsoft has discovered the problem and is working on a fix to release it before the Big Sur release.
- Users of certain devices may notice changes in scrolling behaviour that are unintentional. For example, pages scroll much faster than before. The problem is being investigated.
- Users of certain ad-blocking extensions may encounter playback errors on YouTube. As a workaround, we recommend disabling the corresponding extension.
- There is a failure occurs due to the use of outdated basic Kaspersky software, so it is solved by installing the current version.
- Some users may notice a duplication of the favourites after the changes that were made last month. This happens most often after installing Edge from another channel or installing Edge on another device and then logging in using an account that was previously registered with Edge. Now it is easier to fix the problem because a deduplication tool is available. However, there is also duplication of elements when running the deduplication on different devices, if by this time none of the devices has completely completed the process of syncing changes. You will have to wait until the changes you make reach the Beta and Stable channels, so make sure that a lot of time has passed between deduplication launches.
- Even with the fix, some users are still faced with the fact that the browser window becomes completely black. Pop-up user interface elements, such as menus, work correctly. If you encounter this problem, open the browser task Manager (Shift + Esc) and complete the “GPU Process”. This usually solves the problem. Note that the problem only occurs for users of certain devices, and most often occurs when the Edge window is resized.
- Some users may see the web page “wobble” when scrolling using the touch screen or trackpad gestures, when scrolling in one dimension also causes barely noticeable scrolling in another dimension. It is reported that the problem is only seen on certain web pages and is likely to be more pronounced on some devices. This is most likely because the team is working on creating a scroll corresponding to Edge Legacy. If you are annoyed with the problem with scrolling, you can temporarily disable the experimental flag: edge://flags/#edge-experimental-scrolling.
- Some issues may cause Edge audio to fail when using multiple audio output devices. In some cases, the audio for Edge is disabled in Windows Volume Mixer, and enabling audio there fixes the problem. In other cases, you just need to restart the browser to fix it.
If you are already using Edge Dev on your computer, you will get the update automatically soon. If you want to speed up the process, open the browser, go to Settings in the “About Microsoft Edge” section, and then start updating the browser.